Pages

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Chinese Smiling Cookies

Chinese New Year is coming up fast this year.  One of my favorite Chinese goodies is the smiling cookie.  It takes its name from the cracks that form when the cookie dough is deep fried to a golden brown.  Normally I would wait for some other family member to make them and bring them over when we do the Chinese New Year visits, but Cowie and Gohgoh got me a deep fryer!  

With this new deep fryer I can do anything!!  It is so easy to use and cleans up fast.  Mind you, the cleaning was aided by my Daddy and the making of the cookie was aided by my Mama.  Hehe, it was a family event like all Chinese New Year things.  


This smiling cookie is very easy to make.


Smiling Cookie

2 Cups of Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup of Sugar
2 Tbsp Oil
3 Tbsp Water
Sesame Seeds

1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.

2. Beat together the sugar, oil, and water.


3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well.


4. Roll dough into little balls and coat with sesame seeds.

 
5. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown and the cookies begin to crack a smile.




These were so fun to make and it can involve the whole family if you want.  Happy Lunar New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a note!